Day 32: Lessons (and Other Morbid Drabbles) by Michael Crane
Summary From Goodreads:
Lessons and Other Morbid Drabbles is a collection of 25 100-word shorts that range from darkly comic to downright terrifying and wrong. Some shorts feature ghouls and monsters while others are simply about people behaving very, very badly. Which is scarier? Find out in this sick and twisted collection.
They may only be a few words long, but that doesn’t lessen the bloodshed any…
I came across this collection while I was perusing for eBooks that were similar to that of Jeremy C. Shipp, one of my favorite authors and a horror/creepy-humor specialist. For whatever reason I didn’t get around to reading it until now, but I’m glad I did! As Lessons is a collection of 25 “drabbles”, or 100-word short stories, it is only fitting that I do a top five, so without further ado, my favorites in reverse order!
5. Bedtime – A father refuses to believe his young son when the boy says there is a monster underneath his bed. The dad checks it out refusing to believe and pays the price. Let’s just say his…view on life has been adjusted.
4. Grim – When a couple cops investigate a home where Death is supposedly trying to kill a guy (go figure) they are surprised to meet a dark hooded figure. The solution? Go drink at a bar, can’t go wrong with alcohol right?!
3. S.O.L. – A combination of zombies and a teacher goes all to right for a student who received an unwanted grade. Suffice it to say that the teacher won’t be giving out anything anytime soon.
2. Detention – A homage to Bart Simpson lurks in this drabble, and just as the spiky-haired fiend would believe, the teacher really is a monster.
1. Overreaction – Marriage is never easy, and sometimes one person goes a bit too far, that is certainly the case when Monday Night Football is threatened. I recommend you just let them watch, pick your battles folks!
Goodreads 2013 Reading Challenge #32/365